Quilt stores are therapy. The wonderful owner of our local store knows everyone by their first name. She knows what colors her customers favor. Sometimes you just have to go in there for inspiration.
The difficulty with a quilt store therapy session is a person might forget all the projects at home in neat little storage boxes. ( or scattered here and there) It is so easy to get excited about another kit or pattern and purchase it. The new project then becomes part of the growing project pile. What a treasure though and much cheaper than a trip to Cabelas or Sportsman's Warehouse however.
I have tried to visit the quilt store only when I need to purchase something to finish a project. I usually have to get a fabric for binding because I didn't think that far into the project in the beginning. Sometimes I am looking for a fabric that is long sold out because I just liked it so much or I wanted more of it in my project than I bought in the beginning.
I have a good friend in the valley. She is Miss S. a "quilter extraordinare." She tried several years ago to get me interested in quilting like she was. She just couldn't. I took one "block of the month" class with her and bowed out of the whole thing. I was NOT ready to cut fabric in little squares and sew them back together. At the time I was working for a company that made bedding and I cut fabric all day long. ........noooooo quilting for me.
Miss S. told me the other day she would will me some of her quilt fabrics some day. Personally, I wish she would just get busy and finish the projects and give me something finished. (ha)
We differ in how we look at projects. We have went round and round about that over the years. Miss S. loves "the process" so finishing the project is not considered much...... and I... well I love a finished project.
I have discovered http://www.pieplatepatterns.com/ patterns. At the moment I am working on "April". I also have "January". Those are the only 2 in the collection that interest me at present.
This is beginning to look like Writing 101 in college.... I better get busy and quilt.
Oh.... I heard today that a new group is starting in the Eugene field... Quilters OLD and NEW.
1 comment:
I wish writing 101 had taught me to write so well!! You put that so perfectly into words!! And I do believe we are much cheaper than the boys and their toys! "wink"!
Post a Comment